Celebrity Sandwich with Shane Delia
The first episode features Shane Delia of Maha plating up hobz bil zejt, a Maltese sandwich involving a powerful combo of anchovy, pickled onion, and sundried tomato paste on ciabatta.
The first episode features Shane Delia of Maha plating up hobz bil zejt, a Maltese sandwich involving a powerful combo of anchovy, pickled onion, and sundried tomato paste on ciabatta. Bring on the squish test.
Hobz biz-zejt: Maltese tomato, anchovy and pickled onion sandwich
- 1 fresh baguette (I like Baker Bleu), cut lengthways, then in half
- 150g pickled onions, finely chopped
- 200g tomato paste (I’ve used the Maltese sundried tomato paste called kunserva)
- 100g baby capers
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 50g anchovies (1 small tin; I like the Ortiz brand)
- Chopped black olives (optional; at Maha we use 100g of dehydrated black-olive crumb)
- 150g cheese (I’ve used gbeijnit, a peppered cheese from Malta)
- Good Victorian olive oil (I like Cobram Estate)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste (I like flaky sea salt)
- Spread the tomato paste generously and evenly over both cut sides of the bread, all the way to the edges
- Spoon chopped pickled onion and capers evenly onto one side the baguette
- Lay the anchovies over the onion and capers
- Sprinkle flake salt and black pepper over the top
- Drizzle generously with olive oil
- Sprinkle chopped chives and black olive all over the top
- Grate cheese on top of this
Drizzle a little more olive oil and add more black pepper on the inside of the other slice of bread, sandwich it all together and enjoy. It’s good eaten straight away, or left for a while for the flavours to mingle.
About Shane Delia
Shane Delia is best known as the chef and owner of Maha and Maha Bar restaurants, and as the presenter and host of such TV shows as Spice Journey and Recipe for Life.
He’s also the author of Maha Middle Eastern Home Cooking and Spice Journey: Adventures in Middle Eastern Cooking. Shane’s exploration of the cuisines of the Mediterranean across his restaurants, broadcasting and books has brought him acclaim both at home and overseas, and he is a passionate ambassador for the food and culture of Malta and the Middle East.
In 2020 he launched Providoor , an initiative to assist connect restaurants and diners and step up the home dining experience. An instant hit with food-lovers, the service now serves meals from many of the most highly regarded eateries in Australia to hundreds of Melbourne households every week.
More from this series
- Celebrity Sandwich with Jerry Mai
Catch up on the series
- Celebrity Sandwich with Victor Liong
Catch up on the series
Events from the same category
- GrEAT Ocean Road Trip series
Eat your way along the Great Ocean Road.
- GrEAT Ocean Road Trip: Artisans & Apostles
See the 12 Apostles Coast and Hinterland.
- Healthy recipes
- Fed Square Masterclass: Taxi Kitchen's Dumplings
how to make the city’s greatest dumplings.
- Flavours of Monash
Discover a global kitchen on your doorstep!